April 15, 2010

supercalifragicorrection

I was out to dinner the other night when a friend commented that perhaps Mary Poppins (the Broadway show) followed the books instead of the movie. We both agreed this didn't sound very Disney-like. Lo and behold, that is the case after all. I looked up a plot synopsis on Wikipedia and, sure enough, Act I follows the first book and Act II follows the second book.

This really explains a lot. All of the changes don't seem nearly as random or odd. But at the same time, I don't understand this decision. Surely the majority of people going to this show are like me and expect something closer to the film. Of course, the film doesn't lend itself easily to the stage. But if anyone can figure it out, it's Disney. Their sets are phenomenal, state-of-the-art. I mean, seriously, if you can adapt the freaking Lion King to the stage than you can do anything.

If anything, this just adds a bit to my disappointment. But, then again, Disney isn't very good at knowing what I want from it's stage shows. Every now and then they really hit the mark. The rest of the time you get Tarzan and that awful Finding Nemo thing in Animal Kingdom. Which, of course, has the coolest puppets that I have ever seen on a fabulous set. With lyrics written by a 5 year-old. "This is really bad/I miss my dad..."

But, I digress. This makes Mrs. Corry and Miss Andrews and the Heavens all less random but still as perplexing. I don't think all of the Disney Magic in the world can save this one.

No comments: