June 16, 2009

i get kinda crazy in my head for you

Ever since man invented the portable music player, teenagers have employed them to rudely tune out the rest of the world which is just too annoying for them to stomach. They will crumble and die if made to spend too many hours listening to anyone "old" or, the worst of the worst, their parents... God. Just to hear them talk about anything is about the most embarrassing thing of life, let alone if they start talking to someone else (like a cashier). That's when, as a teen, its your duty to step in and let them know how annoying they are by going, "Mooooom! Just PAY her."

I remember what it was like to be inexplicably embarrassed by your parents. I remember walking the dog and staying a good ten feet behind them, lest anyone think I was walking WITH them or, can you imagine, enjoying it.

I know there are exceptions. I hope my kids are exceptions. But if they do act that way, its gonna be damn funny to me and I'm probably going to really make the situation a lot worse.

A teen was just in here, ignoring her parents by use of an iPod. She did take the time and care to tell her dad where the price tag was on something when he was asking me how much it was. That sort of annoys me too, Teen. She walked past the counter and I heard what she was listening to. I thought it odd that she was listening to Mellencamp but then I remembered what Jessica Simpson did years ago. My teen can and probably will ignore me, but I refuse to let them ignore me in favor of listening to Jessica Simpson. That's just rude.

No comments: