July 3, 2009

holding myself to it by putting it in writing.

Its about time I took control of my finances. My parents really pay for a lot of things for me and I know its only a matter of time before that stops. And when it does, its probably going to be abrupt. So, before that happens, I've gotta understand money.

I think the problem I have with money is the same problem that makes the majority of the country not really understand money... I was spoiled and I had zero responsibility. It suddenly hit me at 20 or 21 that I had no idea how much anything cost and no idea how to budget my money or save my money, among many other things I was completely unprepared for (laundry?!). I'd never paid for anything, ever. I wasn't allowed to get a job. My allowance was for CDs and movies and expensive dinners out nearly every night. And, truth be told, I'm still not. I pay for my cable and internet. Those are both wants. Everything else? I'll admit it, I don't pay a dime. Its sort of embarrassing and people tend to hate a person for being spoiled, so I feel wary of admitting how very little in my life is on my shoulders. But here's the thing, you may be reading this and hating me and thinking what a lucky bitch I am, but when the day comes that my parents stop paying, and it will come, if I don't prepare...I'm screwed.

So now I have to figure out all this money stuff. Auto insurance and cell phone bills and car payments and rent... Its all sort of a mystery. At least it was. I've been learning more about how much these things cost, and now I've got to learn how to have that money. I have a plan!

1) Switch banks and open a savings. I've saved up this year for the first time ever and I've got a nice start for a savings account. I know in the next few years I'm really going to be happy I did it. Plus 5/3 can kiss my ass on the way out. They are ridiculous.

2) Budget. I'm spending less than I was when "Party All the Time" was my theme song and life rule. I'm also shopping less and eating out less. I'm pretty sure that's why I've been able to save in a few months what I expected to take a year. Now, though, I've got to really get my hands dirty and see where my money goes. Its time to see what I spend, figure out how much I need, and save the rest instead of just setting an arbitrary amount.

3) Figure out all the stuff people who are money-smart take advantage of. IRAs, CDs, money market blah blah's--I know none of it. And I want to know it ALL. I figure by 2010 I should be able to be pretty knowledgable when it comes to where I should be putting my money. I think about retirement a lot, and I want it to be awesome.

4) Try to rebuild my credit. Despite my spoiled-noscity, I have terrible credit. See, its that whole responsibility thing again. I think I've got the hang of it now. So, I've got to do everything I can or else I'm gonna be 60 asking my kids to co-sign for me on a new condo.

2010 is about 6 months away, so that is the goal. In 6 months, I should really know what I'm doing with my money and being as smart as I can be. Because soon enough I'm gonna need a new car, and I don't think this one's going to be sitting outside with a big red bow on it. And someday I'm gonna need a house, and nobody's going to just give it to me. Nobody's gonna pay my car insurance or give me a credit card or take me grocery shopping, on them. Someday it's all gonna be on me. And I'm going to know what I'm doing when that day comes. And its going to feel good.

No comments: