November 23, 2009

tis the season for scammers

Yesterday, I stopped a scam from happening. It is not the first time that I have thwarted a scam and it probably won't be the last. It seems lately that more people are trying to scam us here and it really bothers me. I don't know how people don't feel bad.

I mean, the fact that we are a non-profit and its wrong to steal aside, these people are usually people that I remember because they talked me. Don't you feel bad scamming poor little innocent me, Scammers? On that same note, it makes me more angry that I stood there and acted interested in what this person was saying when I really thought that they were batshit crazy.
Its been a while since we had any change artists. They're easy to spot because its usually a person that looks like they just shuffled in from OTR and they've got a big bill. What's more is they are trying to buy something that costs less than a dollar with their bill. Its really satisfying to thwart them. If it weren't for my Customer Service gene, I would probably ask them how dumb they think I am. It usually goes like this--
Change Artist: Can you break a $100?
Me: Sure.
CA: Can you check to make sure?
Me: I'm sure.
Then they proceed to try and trip me up with several different requests. They want 5 20's, while you're doing that they ask for four quarters for a dollar, then they give you back the 20's and ask for something different back. I could see how it would work to confuse you but the trick is that you can't let them control what you're doing. The guy tries to hand me a dollar while I am getting the 5 20's, its not happening. He's gotta wait until I get the $100 taken care of and then I will move onto the next step. I really do this just so that I don't get confused, but it also keeps change artists from purposely confusing you. Also, you've got to watch what you have and what he has. If you know you gave him the right amount and he tries to tell you otherwise, then you have to say, "I know what I gave you, I'll have to count down the drawer to check." Trust me, dude is not gonna wait around while you count down all your money. He'll leave you to move onto another cashier, this is why the last step is to sound the alarm! You've gotta call anyone else you work with and warn them that this dude is about. Your smarts don't matter if some other idiot gets taken.

Here is a new scam (for here anyway) that we've been getting this holiday season. Person pays using a check and then the check is mysteriously gone at the end of the day. It becomes pretty evident that the person must've taken the check because they never call to see why you haven't cashed their check, like a normal person would do.

We also have been getting people paying with checks, then trying to return the merchandise before their check clears. Then---shocker! The check bounces! Unfortunately, twice now they have been allowed to do this here. Thankfully it seems to have gotten through their heads that people are doing this on purpose.

How does this happen? Is it people that grew up in an environment where stealing was ok? That would appear to be the case with the change artists. But the check scammers seem like normal people. How are they not eaten up with guilt? Do you try it once and it works and you don't see a consequence so it snowballs? Or is it people that are struggling through the holidays and its a one-time thing? I don't get it. I would be so eaten up with guilt. You know the cashier gets in trouble. It could cost them their job. As a non-profit, we do receive tax-payer money. Granted this isn't the money that buys the merchandise, but its still, in a way, stealing from yourself.
Well, motives aside, people are low on money this holiday season. They've decided the solution is scamming--theft. Its really gross. So look out for scammers and be sure to bust them. And if anyone you know is talking about doing it or doing it, be sure and let them know how gross they are. And so ends what has turned into a PSA. But, seriously, it really frosts my cookies. Cut it out.

No comments: